Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Spending, the Gifts, the Decorating… and, for what???

In October of 2011, Zach wanted a new bike and a new iPod touch…for Christmas.  He begged and begged Mark to let him have those gifts early.  Mark has a soft spot for ALL our children and couldn’t resist letting Zach have those gifts early.   Zach’s smile was worth the world when he was able to squeeze his Dad for what he wanted.

Zach proudly rode his new bike everyday.  I would see him riding that bike everywhere out our back window.  I even saw him riding off of some of the empty lot’s cliffs.  He was grinning ear to ear and I was saying silent prayers that he wouldn’t get hurt.  With the sun in his face and the wind at his back, he was a boy having an adventure.  His adventure was discovering what he could do on his bike and where it could take him. 

Zach’s Christmas was in October.  We are so glad we let him have those simple gifts.  As within a few months, his Christmas would be spent with our Savior and ours would be spent mourning his passing. 

How different this time of year has become for us.  I suppose our souls have become a little more in tune with the “reason we celebrate the season.”  We yearn to lift and help someone who is less fortunate.  We long to serve those who are alone or downtrodden.  We most certainly want to extend our hands in love to those who have suffered the loss of a loved one~we understand this deep sense of loss.

As I observe the goings-on this Christmas time of year, I have found:
  • ·      Parents and Grandparents trying to provide the one gift that will bring joy to their child/grandchild
  • ·      Friends baking delicious treats to give to those they love
  • ·      Happy faces (and some crying ones) when people go to visit Santa at the mall
  • ·      Beautiful Christmas cards with pictures of their happy families
  • ·      Phone calls letting people know you are thinking of them
  • ·      Homes decorated with lights, Christmas trees, and some even with yard art
  • ·      Beautiful Creche exhibits that remind us “why” we even celebrate this time of year
  • ·      Our beautiful temples lighting the way to help bring a deeper understanding of why we believe that families are eternal

At this time of year, it would be easy to have a “bah-humbug” attitude.  It would be easy to say, “Why decorate?”  It would be SO easy to avoid the shopping mayhem.  It would be easy to forget that there are many who are suffering.  It would be easy to become consumed with personal grief.  But, those are all choices that would only lead me down a path of doom and gloom.  Those choices would not bring me happiness nor any amount of joy.

What it boils down to is this: the choice is simply mine.  I choose to spend money on things my children and grandchildren may not need, but would bring them joy.  In turn, this makes my heart swell.  I choose to decorate.  I suppose I decorate now to simply honor this Christmas season.  I also remember how much Zach enjoyed putting each and every ornament on the tree.  It brought him great joy to help decorate.  This also makes my heart swell.

I choose to give thanks to my Father in Heaven who lovingly gave His Son, our Redeemer that we may have the opportunity to return and live with Him, His Son, and our families, eternally, again one day.  Our Savior is our own personal Gift from God.  I am ever grateful that through my trials, I may turn to Him and He can calm and lift my weary heart. 

At this Christmas season, I invite you to share what is good, wonderful, and right in your life.  The world and media would like for us to focus on the opposite.  However, be the answer to someone’s prayer.  Be the quiet miracle who gave without recognition.  Be the smile to an over worked cashier.  Be gentle.  Be kind.  And most of all, be loving.  These are but a few of the qualities and character attributes the Savior exemplified.  I want to be better, to improve, but I need to make better choices in order to accomplish a more Christ-like attitude and life.  I want Zach to be happy and proud of my good decisions.  I want him to say, “Way to go Mom!”

Here is a link to a talk Elder Uchtdorf gave at the April 2014 General Conference:

And...as always...I have to give you a song <3

Gone, but not forgotten <3













2 comments:

  1. I love this. What a wonderful reminder of what Christmas is really about. Thank you for your example, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy - you have no idea how much i needed your words today! thank you! Your faith and spirit lifts so many!

    ReplyDelete