Monday, August 17, 2020

CoViD-19, Testing and Masks: A Matter of Compassion and Common Sense

I have seen many posts about stopping CoViD testing and declarations of “why” someone has chosen to “not” wear a mask.  Couple all of that with many posts of those who mock others who are trying to stay safe by wearing a mask, social distancing, and washing hands.  These particular posts also tell those of us who are trying to stay safe to “just let them live their lives.”  Those of us who have chosen to try and stay safe, and keep others safe, while being labeled as “sheeples.”

I want to address a few of these so called uninformed “declarations.”  First and foremost, to “stop” CoViD-19 testing is ludicrous.  To stop testing will, in fact, NOT make this pandemic go away.  Testing does, in fact, help our healthcare professionals and scientists track and identify where the spread is occurring.  If you could possibly have strep, what do you do?  You get tested to know why your throat is sore with white spots all over.  WHY? Why? Why then, I ask, should you not get tested for CoViD-19?  If you could possibly be sick with the flu, what do you do?  You get tested to know “why” you have all these “flu-like” symptoms.  I ask again, then, WHY should you NOT get tested for COViD-19?  When you stand on your soapbox attempting to get everyone to jump on your bandwagon for something you are ill-informed about, you are showing your level of intelligence on this topic… rather, the lack thereof.  

 

The thinking that not testing for the disease can actually make it go away makes about as much sense as you not counting your birthdays to keep you from getting any older.

 

 If you are sick and are unsure what is wrong, but it appears you have many of the symptoms for CoViD-19, are you going to go to the ER or Urgent Care?  If those healthcare professionals say, “we need to test you for COVID-19.”  What are you going to do?  If you are the one who is trying to lead many on the “Stop Testing for COVID-19” bandwagon, are you going to stand by your so-called beliefs, tell those healthcare workers no, and go home and tough it out?  Remember, YOU were the one who chose your so-called “mission.”  Maybe instead, you should try researching “why” testing is important and how it helps not only physicians and scientists, but our families, communities, and fellow human beings as we battle this unprecedented deadly pandemic.  You may learn something.

 

Next on my list is MASKS. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover-guidance.html

 

Because we do not yet have a vaccine for COVID-19, the best thing we can do is to wear a mask, wash our hands, and social distance.  When I wear my mask properly, I am saying that I care about you and am doing my part to protect you from me.  I have seen a slew of “declarations” of “why” someone has publicly stated how they have chosen “NOT” to wear a mask.  Their reasons are all “selfish.”  Period.  The end.  What I hear you say is:

A)    It is more important for people to see my entire face because people need to see my smile to know I am friendly

B)     It is the best decision for me

C)     I just want to live my life the way I want… WOW… wouldn’t we all like to do that??!!

D)    The virus is a hoax – this is perhaps my favorite because it is so utterly ridiculous- let me help you out…

Nationwide statistics

 https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

Utah statistics by county

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/county-map.html?state=UT

Do you really think our amazing healthcare professionals are really all about helping to mastermind a “hoax” of this magnitude, one that is responsible for over 170,000 deaths in the U.S. since it first appeared?  Coronavirus has now become the third leading cause of death in our country, behind heart disease and cancer.

 

These are the messages you are communicating when you proclaim you will not wear a mask:

A)    I do not care if your or my parents or grandparents have health issues.  I am not wearing a mask around them.

B)     I do not care if your sister, mother, brother, father, whoever has cancer.  I am not wearing a mask around them.

C)     I do not care if someone is immune compromised, I am not wearing a mask around them.

D)    I do not care if you are a healthcare worker and are exposed to CoViD-19 daily (my husband, son and son-in-law for example), I am not wearing a mask around them.

E)     I do not care if there are rules at a store to help protect the workers, I am not wearing a mask around them.

 

And, by  the way, it was reported today that a previously healthy 7 year old child recently died from CoViD-19.  A 30 year old man who attended a CoViD-19 party regretted his decision on his death bed, realizing this disease is not a hoax.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TrKXC-Ec-hI

 

Do you even begin to see the selfishness of your decisions?  I do not care whether you are a Republican or a Democrat, as this is NOT a political agenda.   What I do care about is when I see you lose your compassion for your fellowman.  I think this is a time to reassess your values, your values as a human being.  

 

For those of my faith, our area presidency reached out to every member in our area asking us to wear our masks.  I believe they know something, and were given that inspiration to direct us and to help keep us safe.  

 

Dear Brothers and Sisters:

We are in the midst of a global pandemic unlike any the world has experienced in more than a century. The effects of this escalating health crisis are being felt everywhere, with incidents of COVID-19 infection rising dramatically especially in the United States, including in Utah. Latter-day Saints are not immune. Just today, more than 800 new infections were reported in our state.

A growing chorus of medical authorities has confirmed that the simple wearing of a face covering when in public and when social distancing is not possible will significantly reduce the spread of COVID-19. This is true both indoors and outdoors.

We note with appreciation the care exhibited by our members in returning to sacrament meetings wearing face masks. Now we ask all Latter-day Saints in the Utah Area to be good citizens by wearing face coverings when in public. Doing so will help promote the health and general welfare of all. 

We are most grateful for all you do to minister to one another and to your neighbors. Please join with us now in common purpose for the blessing and benefit of all.

 

Before you post something you really know nothing about, DO.YOUR.HOMEWORK!  Don’t make an unintelligent statement just because you think you are going to start a trend or try to raise a banner about it.  Be sure you have your facts from a reliable, objective, fact based resource.

 

Remember, this is not only about you, BUT most assuredly this is about how we can help everyone around us, including those we love the most, survive this pandemic.

No comments:

Post a Comment