Sunday, July 26, 2020

The StRaW That Broke The Camels BaCk and then some….

 Hello from Sunny St. George!  I have not written in a while, as… well… there has not been much to write about.  That really is not entirely true, but I have needed to have time to gather my thoughts in order to put my heart out there in words.

 

The world seems to be spinning out of control with plagues, pestilence, and violence.  We watch the news and are shown many instances of how people are negative, angry, and even depressed.  We go to the grocery store where many of the shelves are emptied of the essential needed items.  I see many of my friends on social media who are struggling with life threatening illnesses.  These are hard and heart heavy times both in our world and for many of us in our personal lives.  The likes which I have never before seen in my lifetime.

 

H.O.P.E!!

Here are some awesome acronyms for HOPE:

Helping Other People Everyday

Hold On, Peace Exists

Helping Other People Enthusiastically 

Have Only Positive Expectations

Hold Onto Prayer Everyday

He Offers Peace Eternally

 

I believe you know where I am headed.  Each and everyday each of us is faced with some sort of trial.  The trial can be from some one simply cutting you off while driving, to losing a job, to having familial difficulties, or to having health trials.  Whatever our trials, we must not lose our “HOPE!”  I believe “hope” is a very real part of our soul’s make up.  Hope is the very reason we can press on.  Hope is knowing that life will be better tomorrow.  Hope is the very essence of my faith. 

 

Life has thrown Mark and me many trials the past few months.  It has been both stressful and depressing, and yet we seem to see many blessings that have offered us the “hope” we have needed to cling to.  Back in May, Mark had an esophagram to see if his esophagus still had a leak.  And yes, it did.  The physician decided to put a G-tube into his stomach where he would feed himself for the next two months.  He was to be “strict NPO,” meaning no food or fluids via his mouth.  This makes me think of a Monty Python line with the Black Night when he said, “None shall pass!”  In two months, the physician would order another esophagram to see if the leak had gotten smaller or had closed off.

 

Two months later, the leak had decreased significantly.  Significantly enough, Mark has been able to begin eating again.  He is on trial for a few weeks with food to make sure 1) he can tolerate eating and 2) his blood work stays stable.  During the past two months because of Mark’s nutrition, he has had a couple of physical trials.  The first trial is the tendon in Mark’s shoulder has completely detached.  This is the same shoulder that had a FULL replacement back in November. UGH!  The second physical trial happened a few weeks ago when Mark felt something crack in his back-this would be the STRAW that broke the camel’s back!  UGH!  After an MRI it was found that he had not ONE, but had TWO compression fractures at T8 and T9.  He was in a lot of pain and yet he still pressed on and went to work.  Mark really gives meaning to “he takes a licking and keeps on ticking.”

 

Mark had a really tough 5-6 hour case this past week.  After he finished, he realized he needed to get his back fixed asap.  On Thursday, he had a procedure called Kyphoplasty (Google it or YouTube it) done.  Basically, they inject cement into those spaces offering him much relief.  He still has some pain, but it is post-procedural pain.  HOPEfully, he will be feeling much better by Monday.  I am so grateful for modern day medicine and the things that can be done to improve our everyday quality of life.  We continue to see the light at the end of the tunnel-HOPE.  That is the latest update on Mark.

 

Monday, July 27th, would be Zach’s 22nd birthday.  As I was walking out of the hospital on Thursday after Mark’s procedure, I walked past the Narrows Conference Room where a plaque says “In celebration of Zachary Thomas Pulsipher” hangs.  As I stared at that for a moment, I got choked up.   It truly brings both Mark and I so much joy to see that sign hanging there.  We not only remember Zach on his birthday or other holidays, but we remember him, think about him, and deeply miss him each and every day.  However, we focus on the joy he brought us while he was here.  We remember his laugh, his hugs, and his love.  Our biggest hopes and dreams are to see him and be with him again in the eternities.  It is up to Mark and I to try and earn that privilege and blessing.  Happy Birthday big boy!!!  Our Zachy boy.



 


Zach’s famous banana chair video


Zach videoing Andy after putting a teaspoonful of Wasabi in his mouth
I LOVE hearing Zach’s laugh... even still


I want to close with these two acronyms for H.O.P.E:

Hold Onto Prayer Everyday

            Just pray!  Everyday pray!  Not only pray for the things you are in need of, but pray for those who need your prayers as well.  I feel I have been deeply blessed and given many calm reassurances (hope) that “things will be alright.”  Heavenly Father wants to hear from you.  Prayer is your way to call home and communicate your heart.

 

He Offers Peace Eternally

            When I see this particular acronym, I think of this scripture:

“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid” (John 14:26–27).

 

Be kind.  Be caring.  Be loving.  Be prayerful.  Be Christlike.

And, keep the light of H.O.P.E shining bright in your heart. 




6 comments:

  1. I love you Wendy! Give my best to Mark! And Happy Heavenly Birthday, Zach!! ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and your family today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your faith and optimism bring everyone HOPE! God is good...always! Thank you for sharing your heart! Mark is a miracle!

    ReplyDelete